Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Christmas in August

Doing the lighting for my friends' wedding next week... used to having a whole grip truck's worth of rigging hardware at my disposal, but unfortunately that's not in the budget for this one. So back to basics... good ol' Boy Scout knots:
I was inspired primarily by the Big BambĂș exhibit at the Met, and my primal yearning to build something using only rope...
The lashing was also inspired by my innate distrust of the structural integrity of zip-ties... they're great for re-attaching body panels to your car (which I've done many a time), but you have to keep in mind that they periodically snap & need to be replaced... which is not really an acceptable solution for rigging lights over 80+ peoples' heads. Even if they're just China lanterns–

This is the end of Day #2, with roughly 25% of the lights are hung. That means 75% more awesomeness next week. And a real camera to actually do it justice...

No comments:

Post a Comment